Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance

615 California Avenue
Bakersfield, CA - 93304
Phone Number: (661) 325-5943

Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Incorporated (GBLA) is located in Bakersfield, California and offers free legal services in civil matters to eligible low-income persons residing within our service area in Kern County.

Office hours: Mondays through Fridays: 8:30am to 12 noon, 1pm to 5pm.
Legal Services Takes On:
    Housing - Through a partnership between GBLA and the Kern County Superior Court, the Landlord-Tenant Assistance Center provides a variety of services to help resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Services include legal counsel, mediation, educational workshops, case management, and referrals for housing and community resources. The goal of the Center is to help unrepresented parties understand and prepare for court or, whenever possible, help landlords and tenants reach out-of-court settlements through mediation.
The Center is located at the Kern County Superior Court, Metropolitan Division, 1415 Truxtun Ave., in Bakersfield (1st Fl., Window 8).

Sargent Shriver Housing Project
When a landlord is represented by an attorney in an eviction lawsuit, the Sargent Shriver Housing Project helps tenants with their eviction defense. The Project helps tenants understand the eviction (unlawful detainer) legal process and can represent them in trial or aid in negotiating a pre-trial settlement.
The Project can also make referrals to agencies that prevent homelessness, provide relocation assistance, or connect clients with services relating to employment, education, and family necessities.

    Fair Housing Law Project

    Homelessness - Community Homeless Law Center Project
The goal of the Community Homeless Law Center Project is to remove legal barriers to obtaining and maintaining permanent housing. The Project uses a wrap-around approach to address the needs of homeless clients that involves both legal and social services.
Legal services can address health, public benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), domestic violence, Homeless Court, consumer, education, child support, and other matters.
Veterans Law Center
In partnership with the California Veterans Assistance Foundation (CVAF), GBLAs Veterans Law Center provides legal services to Veterans who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness.
For CVAF clients, the Center focuses on eliminating legal barriers to permanent housing. These can include a wide variety of civil legal issues, including landlord-tenant, consumer credit and debt, access to public benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, Homeless Court, and others.

    Domestic Violence - Domestic Violence Reduction Project
If you have been the victim of domestic violence, the Domestic Violence Reduction Project may be able to help you. The purpose of the Project is to provide legal assistance in order to protect children from further exposure to domestic violence.
Services include representation in court to obtain a restraining order, obtaining child custody and visitation orders, obtaining orders for child and spousal support, and other legal assistance in order to help you and your children escape violence.
Immigrant Violence Reduction Project
The Immigrant Violence Reduction Project provides legal help and support services to immigrants who have been victims of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual assault.
Services include VAWA and U Visa petitions, petitions to adjust to Lawful Permanent Resident status for those with approved VAWA and U Visa petitions, divorce and changes in child visitation when needed to keep the family safe, advocacy with law enforcement agencies, counseling and support groups, and case management to help victims find the resources they need to be independent and stay safe.
    Children & Families - Guardianship Caregiver Project
The Guardianship Caregiver Project assists caregivers who would like to obtain guardianship of a child age five or younger (and their older siblings), in order to prevent abuse or neglect.
Project advocates represent prospective guardians by preparing and filing guardianship petitions, responding to objections, representing our clients in mediation and guardianship hearings, and preparing post-hearing letters and orders.
Grandparent Guardianship Project
The Grandparent Guardianship Project can assist grandparents (or other close relatives) age 55 or older to obtain guardianship of children of 18 years old if they are currently residing with you.
Project advocates represent prospective guardians by preparing and filing guardianship petitions, responding to objections, representing our clients in mediation and guardianship hearings, and preparing post-hearing letters and orders.
    Education Law Project - The purpose of the Education Law Project is to make sure every child has fair access to an education that will help them learn, grow, and prosper.
The Project provides legal services related to school discipline, truancy, bullying, discrimination, and special education issues. If your child is experiencing language access issues, suspension or expulsion from school, difficulty accessing special education services, or discriminatory treatment at school, the Project may be able to help.
    Health & Public Benefits - Kern Health Consumer Center
Kern Health Consumer Center provides no-cost assistance for Kern County residents with problems with Medi-Cal, Medicare, Covered California, Kern Medical Center health plan, and private insurance plans.
Center advocates and attorneys may help you appeal eligibility denials; file a complaint or grievance with your health plan; challenge a denial of services from your doctor or health plan; deal with billing or affordability problems; and overcome problems accessing services because of language barriers, disability, geographic location, or appointment wait-times.
Public Benefits Unit
The Public Benefits Unit provides assistance regarding denials, reductions, terminations, and overpayments of public benefits including CalWORKs (welfare/cash aid), CalFresh (food stamps), General Assistance, In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
Assistance may include giving counsel and advice, completing appeal forms, obtaining health and benefits records, and representing at hearings.
    Older Adults - Seniors Law Center
The Seniors Law Center focuses on the civil legal needs of adults 60 years and older throughout Kern County. Although the Center does not have income restrictions, priority is given to low-income seniors.
Priority service areas include consumer law matters, elder abuse and neglect, public benefits, and landlord-tenant issues.
Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
The Long-Term Care Ombudsman program receives, investigates, and resolves issues and concerns involving residents in skilled nursing or licensed residential care facilities.
The Ombudsman responds to claims of abuse and neglect including but not limited to physical, sexual, or financial abuse and gross neglect. The Ombudsman also offers consumer guidance and support in resolving quality of care or quality of life issues affecting residents in long-term care.
Access to Justice Rural Project
The Access to Justice Rural Project provides GBLAs broad range of basic legal services to low-income residents in traditionally underserved and isolated communities outside greater Bakersfield.
The Neighborhood Revitalization Project
Where a person lives impacts a persons ability to access economic, education, environmental health, and other opportunities.
The purpose of the Neighborhood Revitalization Project (the project) is to address and eliminate systemic barriers to safe and habitable neighborhoods through outreach, education, collaboration, and litigation.  The project will focus on revitalizing two (2) neighborhoods in East Bakersfield.  These impoverished neighborhoods have a high concentration of low-income renters, blight, and dilapidated housing.  The project aims to create safe and habitable rental housing as well as home ownership opportunities for residents in the targeted neighborhoods.

  • Monday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Tuesday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Wednesday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Thursday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Friday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Saturday closed
  • Sunday closed

Mission Statement: “To promote social change and justice by providing high quality legal services to the low-income community.”

User questions & answers

Are you familiar with Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance? Help users find out answers.

We publish all Helpful information.
Have you ever used this office for anything? What did you think?

Have you ever used this office for anything? What did you think?

What legal problem are looking for help on?

What legal problem are looking for help on?

Upcoming ssdi hearing assistance
Thursday, February 23, 2023

Upcoming ssdi hearing assistance

Tenant landlord
Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Tenant landlord

Wednesday, October 27, 2021


Tenant landlord
Thursday, September 23, 2021

Tenant landlord

Credit repair,  evictions  expunges o we can rent again
Thursday, April 8, 2021

Credit repair, evictions expunges o we can rent again

Child placement & custody
Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Child placement & custody

Monday, February 8, 2021



2020-08-28 13:41:00

Hi, I really need help with Termination of Guardianship papers. Can you please help me?

2021-02-08 07:48:37

Can someone help me with divorce advice?

2021-04-08 12:24:41

Our family struggling to find housing. We've stayed in hotel during cov-19. Right after eviction restricted contact to remove barriers for housing. Now cal works time clock ended. waited patiently for housing assistance with referrals expiring every 3mo.) no one has any response to why we can't get help with a deposit or partial rent. Our stimulus is going on hotel AGAIN IF THERE ANY RESOURCES PLEASE GUIDE ME.

2021-08-31 17:09:33

Can someone help me fill out SSI paperwork?

2021-12-21 13:59:57

I sold a family member a car with the agreement that she couldn't drive the vehicle without insurance, now she has let the insurance lapse and has stopped making payments on it and is hiding the vehicle, what can I do?

Leave a Comment

Contact form submitted!
We will be in touch soon.

Search for Legal Aid Offices

Find legal aid in your state or zip code.

Important Information

Legal Aid Funding
Legal aid professionals and organizations oftentimes receive government funding for taking on cases with those who cannot afford attorneys. For the most part, funding is limited so legal aid entities can only take on a limited amount of cases. Qualifications are often rigid.


Closest Area Legal Aid Offices